Colleges where it can be studied
- Australian Lutheran College
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
The standard full-time duration of the Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology is six months. The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology must be completed within two years.
Cost of study
The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology requires completion of 72 points. Fees for 2020 are $2,640 per standard unit or $7,920 for a full-time year (3 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology supports participants to develop a critical appreciation of the Christian faith and its implications for their work in a faith-based education context. It aims to enhance the theological and spiritual awareness of those whose vocation is education, facilitating use of reflective practices to apply foundational knowledge and engage in the conversation between education and theology.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology
- have a critical appreciation of the Christian faith
- have skills to reflect critically on how theology informs professional practice in an education context
- have the confidence and capacity to engage in theological enquiry in an education context
- have enhanced capacity to engage with diverse views and particular faith traditions
- apply this knowledge and skills to enhance their local learning environment
Follow on study
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology may be eligible to gain credit into the Master of Education and Theology, or a Graduate Diploma course, or the Master of Theological Studies.
Admissions for first semester 2020 close on Friday 14 February 2020.
Admissions for second semester 2020 close on Friday 17 July 2020.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology consists of 72 points at post-graduate level comprised of:
- At least 12 points in either the discipline of Education Studies or the discipline of Religious Education
- At least 12 points in either the discipline of Biblical Studies or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- Further units at postgraduate level.
- A candidate who has satisfactorily completed the Lutheran Education Australia Professional Development Program Connect may be granted 12 points recognition of prior learning in the discipline of Education Studies.
- A candidate who has satisfactorily completed the Lutheran Education Australia Professional Development Programs Equip 1 and Equip 2 may be granted up to 24 points recognition of prior learning in the discipline of Religious Education.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 83 Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.