The Academic Board of the University of Divinity is constituted by Regulation 2 of the Council, as required by the University of Divinity Act 1910.
As the body with oversight of academic affairs, Academic Board has primary responsibility for rigorous debate and discussion about the determination of academic strategy and the formulation of academic policy at the University.
The Academic Board operates in accordance with the Academic Board Charter.
The Chair of Academic Board is elected by the Academic Board, and is an official member of the University Council. The present Chair is Associate Professor Frank Rees (2017- ).
The membership of the Academic Board is:
- the Chair
- the Dean of Academic Programs
- the Dean of the School of Graduate Research
- the Academic Deans of each of the University’s Colleges
- Chair of the Library Committee
- Chair of the Research Committee (appointed by the Academic Board for the purpose of ensuring it has adequate diversity and expertise for the discharge of its responsibilities)
- two students (one coursework, one research) elected by the student body.
View the Declaration of Results document for the election of student members 2019-2020.
Committees of Academic Board
Much of the work of Academic Board is conducted by its standing Committees. Terms of Reference for these Committees are found in the Determinations to Regulation 2.
- Academic Promotions Committee
- Learning Environments Committee
- Library Committee
- Research Committee
- Student Services Committee.
Chair and Deputy Chairs of Examiners
Under Regulation 2 the Academic Board appoints a Chair of Examiners and one or more Deputy Chairs of Examiners. The responsibilities of the Chair and Deputy Chairs is set out in the Position Description approved by the Academic Board. These officers are:
- Chair of Examiners: Dr Geoff Thompson (Pilgrim Theological College)
- Deputy Chairs of Examiners: Associate Professor Glen O’Brien (Eva Burrows College) and Reverend Dr Robyn Whitaker (Pilgrim Theological College).
Contact may be made with the Chair or Deputy Chairs through the University Secretary.