You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study for this course
This course is only available to overseas students not residing in Australia.
- You will not require a visa to study this course.
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education prepares graduates to teach religious education. It provides graduates with knowledge of the disciplines, principles, practices and traditions that form the basis for religious education.
At Catholic Theological College and Yarra Theological Union the award fulfils the requirements of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria Policy 1.7 Accreditation to Teach Religious Education in a Catholic School.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education
- have a foundational knowledge and skills in theological disciplines of importance for teaching religious education.
- have enhanced their capabilities to engage with particular faith traditions and spirituality.
- have ability to communicate religious traditions to students by drawing critically on appropriate sources.
- apply knowledge of contemporary approaches to the learning and teaching of religious education.
- apply their knowledge to religious awareness and faith formation of students and the formation of religious identity in a school community.
The GCTRE is offered in three streams:
Students at Australian Lutheran College complete the following units:
- DE8004L Introduction to Lutheran Education
- CT8001L The Christ-centred School
- DR8012L Teaching in a Lutheran Education Context
Students at Catholic Theological College complete the following units:
- BS8602C Introducing the Bible
- CT8605C In Dialogue with the Catholic Tradition: Foundational Theology for Teachers
- CT9606C Being Followers of Christ: Sacramental and Moral Life
- DR8600C Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Religious Education
Students at Yarra Theological Union complete the following units:
- BS8661Y Introduction to Scripture for Religious Educators
- CT8662Y Jesus Christ Today: Mission, Church and Sacraments
- DR8663Y Foundations of Religious Education
- DT8664Y Making Our Moral Choices in Life: A Value Added Approach
Locations and modes
The standard full-time duration of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education is six months. The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education must be completed in not less than six months and not more than two years from the date on which the course is commenced.
|Standard full-time||6 months|
|Maximum part-time||2 years|
Graduates may proceed to study at Graduate Diploma or Masters’ level.
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education requires completion of 72 points over two years and the course structure differs for each College:
- ALC students complete three 24 point units;
- CTC students complete three 16 point units and one 24 point unit;
- YTU students complete four 18 point units.
The cost of the course at 2024 fees is $9,516.
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.