Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Whitley College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 9 – Masters Degree
Two years full-time or up to six years part-time.
Cost of study
The Master of Pastoral Care requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per standard unit or $14,688 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Master of Pastoral Care enables students to apply an advanced body of knowledge and skill in pastoral care in relation to broader theological studies. Students broaden their knowledge and skills and deepen their engagement with select areas of study to prepare themselves for professional practice and further learning.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Pastoral Care:
- have advanced knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required in pastoral care, and of the relation of pastoral care to broader theological studies
- have mastery of research principles and methods, including analytical skills applicable to pastoral care
- have advanced skills of interpretation and critical reflection on a range of approaches and methodologies in pastoral care, with awareness of implications and application to contemporary issues in professional ministry, in order to generate and evaluate ideas for professional practice and further learning
- articulate and communicate knowledge and insights in pastoral care to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- apply relevant skills in pastoral care through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Master of Pastoral Care consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 96 points of Foundational units comprised of:
i) 48 points in the discipline of Biblical Studies;
ii) 24 points in the discipline of Systematic Theology;
iii) 24 points in the discipline of Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- 96 points of Elective units in the discipline of Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- 48 points of Praxis units
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points in the discipline of Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies or in synthesis with it, or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units.
Black Masters gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 70 Master of Pastoral Care, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.