If you wish to study the Christian faith deeply in an open and worshipping community, committed to educational excellence, and situated in a university context, then St Barnabas College is for you.
St Barnabas College is part of the Anglican Diocese of Adelaide, serving the educational needs of the Diocese and the Province of South Australia. We deliver high quality undergraduate and postgraduate theological education, equipping clergy, laity, and ordination candidates for ministry in the church and for Christian life in the world.
Students will be able to study at the University of Divinity directly through St Barnabas College from 2023.
St Barnabas College joins the University of Divinity
The University of Divinity is delighted to welcome St Barnabas College as its newest College. St Barnabas College is part of the Anglican Diocese of Adelaide, serving the educational needs of the Diocese and the Province of South Australia. It delivers high quality undergraduate and postgraduate theological education, equipping clergy, laity, and ordination candidates for ministry in the church and for Christian life in the world.
St Barnabas College (SBC) was first founded in 1880 by Bishop Augustus Short opposite the site of St Peter’s Cathedral and was established as the training centre for ordinands of the Anglican Diocese of Adelaide. The college remained in that place for 70 years till 1950 when it was closed, only to reopen in 1965 in a purpose-built site in Belair (now St John’s Anglican Grammar School). In 1979 St Barnabas became one of the founding members of the Adelaide College of Divinity, an ecumenical consortium of colleges of the Anglican, Catholic and Uniting Churches which offered its theological degrees through Flinders University. This led in 1997 to all three colleges relocating to a shared campus in Brooklynn Park.
In 2009 St Barnabas changed its affiliation with the ACD & Flinders University to enter into an arrangement with Charles Sturt University’s School of Theology, and in 2013 the college returned to its original site, 18 King William Rd, North Adelaide, opposite what is affectionately referred to as the “Cathedral Precinct.” In 2022, St Barnabas joined the University of Divinity. As the University’s third College in Adelaide, St Barnabas further strengthens opportunities for collaboration with current and future students, teachers and researchers based in South Australia from a wide range of churches and institutions. St Barnabas College values the diversity of Anglican traditions, and, with a longstanding commitment to ecumenical collaboration, already has strong relationships with the University’s other Colleges, locally and nationally.
SBC is still the training centre for the Diocese of Adelaide and offers support to the other dioceses in the Province: The Murray and Willochra.
Situated in picturesque North Adelaide, the College was established in 1880 by Bishop Augustus Short and is housed in its original bluestone building. The two-storey building has been equipped with modern facilities and is fully accessible by ramp and lift for wheelchairs and mobility impaired. It is co-located with the Anglican Diocesan Offices, adjacent to St Peter’s Anglican Cathedral, parklands and the Adelaide Oval and a short walk from Adelaide CBD.
There is excellent access to the college by public transport. Multiple buses stop along King William Road and the Adelaide Railway Station is under ten minutes’ walk from the college. Street parking is also available.
Facilities available to students
Student common room
A dedicated space is available as a student common room, overlooking the atrium.
The St Barnabas Chapel occupies the original chapel space in the college. It is small and atmospheric. Morning Prayer is said daily in the chapel and a Eucharist is celebrated each week in term time.
Tea and coffee making
A fully functioning kitchen, with tea and coffee making facilities, fridge and microwave,
Includes individual study spaces for quiet work.
Available throughout the campus.
Close proximity to local cafés
The campus is situated next to the Cathedral Hotel, the Good Samaritan Café, and Cathedral Deli. It is a short walk to the iconic O’Connell Street in North Adelaide which is populated with a range of food and eating options.