Overseas student type
You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study for this course
This course is only available to overseas students not residing in Australia.
- You will not require a visa to study this course.
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care provides students with the opportunity and skills for reflective and critical engagement in the conversation between the texts of human experience, contemporary culture, ministry or service or wider societal context, and Christian scriptures and tradition. The purpose of this engagement is to encourage the development of relevant, flexible strategies for effective pastoral mission and practice in partnership with all those who seek to serve the world through individual or systemic practice.
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care:
- have knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required for theological engagement and articulate the nature of practical theology as a method of biblical and theological inquiry;
- apply their own experience and practice (personal or professional) to social and behavioural sciences and / or cultural studies and offer an integration of these with the Christian tradition;
- have skills to explore issues of Christian identity, personal vocation and self-understanding through the methods and practices of theological reflection and dialogical engagement with their ministry and mission context;
- apply advanced pastoral helping skills with a developed capacity to engage in the processes of theological reflection.
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care consists of 144 points comprised of:
- 48 points in the discipline of Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Further units at postgraduate level.
Colleges where this course is available
The standard full-time duration of the Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care is one year. The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care must be completed in not less than one year and not more than three years from the date on which the course is commenced.
|Standard full-time||1 year|
|Maximum part-time||3 years|
- Successful completion of a Bachelor degree, or an approved equivalent; or
- Has obtained a Graduate Certificate from the University of Divinity
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral and Spiritual Care requires completion of 6 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2022 are $2,732 per standard unit or $16,392 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.