Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Whitley College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
- Blended (combination of Online and Face-to-face)
One year full-time or up to three years part-time.
Cost of study
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care requires completion of 6 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2021 are $2,640 per standard unit or $15,840 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care provides students with the opportunity and skills for reflective and critical engagement in the conversation between the texts of human experience, contemporary culture, ministry or service or wider societal context, and Christian scriptures and tradition. The purpose of this engagement is to encourage the development of relevant, flexible strategies for effective pastoral mission and practice in partnership with all those who seek to serve the world through individual or systemic practice.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care:
- have knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required for theological engagement and articulate the nature of practical theology as a method of biblical and theological inquiry;
- apply their own experience and practice (personal or professional) to social and behavioural sciences and / or cultural studies and offer an integration of these with the Christian tradition;
- have skills to explore issues of Christian identity, personal vocation and self-understanding through the methods and practices of theological reflection and dialogical engagement with their ministry and mission context;
- apply advanced pastoral helping skills with a developed capacity to engage in the processes of theological reflection.
Follow on study
- Admissions for first semester 2021 close on Friday 12 February 2021.
- Admissions for second semester 2021 close on Friday 16 July 2021.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent. An applicant for admission to the Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care must have successfully completed a unit of Clinical Pastoral Education prior to admission.How to Apply
The Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care consists of 144 points comprised of:
- 48 points in the discipline of Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies;
- a unit of Clinical Pastoral Education worth 48 points; and
- a further 48 points.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 61 Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Care, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.