You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study for this course
This course is only available to overseas students not residing in Australia.
- You will not require a visa to study this course.
The Diploma in Ministry equips students with foundational knowledge and skills to engage in practical Christian ministry in a range of contexts. It explores the biblical and theological basis of ministry and assists students to utilise tools of personal and theological reflection to understand themselves in relation to their ministry contexts, grow their capacity and respond effectively to their call to serve others.
Graduates of the Diploma in Ministry:
- demonstrate foundational knowledge of Christian texts and traditions, particularly those relating to personal formation and ministry with others.
- apply foundational ministry knowledge and skills to ministry contexts in responsible ways.
- demonstrate interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- reflect theologically on their ministry practice.
The Diploma in Ministry consists of 144 points comprised of:
- XD1001Z The Practice of Christian Ministry
- XD1002Z Introduction to Christian Spirituality and Discipleship
- XD1003Z Introduction to Christian Mission
- 18 points in Biblical Studies or New Testament
- A further 72 points including at least 36 points from Field D or 36 points of work integrated learning
Locations and modes
The standard full-time duration of the Diploma in Ministry is one year. The Diploma in Ministry must be completed in not less than one year and not more than four years from the date on which the course is commenced, not including any approved periods of leave of absence, unless the Academic Board decides otherwise.
|Minimum duration||1 year|
|Standard full-time||1 year|
|Maximum part-time||4 years|
Pathways to future study
Graduates may proceed to an Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry, or to the Bachelor of Ministry or Bachelor of Theology.
A person may apply to the Academic Board to enrol as a candidate for the Diploma in Ministry if the person has satisfactorily completed a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education approved by the Curriculum, Assessment and Certification Authority in the relevant state or territory or an equivalent qualification approved by the Academic Board.
Prospective students apply by direct entry to a College of the University. The Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is not used in selection at the University of Divinity.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.
The Diploma in Ministry requires completion of 8 standard undergraduate units. Fees for 2023 are $1,861 per standard unit or $14,888 for a year of full-time study (8 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.