Colleges where it can be studied
- Jesuit College of Spirituality
- Stirling Theological College
- Whitley College
Level 9 – Masters Degree
Two years full-time or up to six years part-time.
Cost of study
The Master of Spiritual Direction requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per standard unit or $14,688 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Master of Spiritual Direction enables students to acquire advanced knowledge of the theological and scriptural foundations of approaches to spiritual direction in the Christian tradition, and to apply this knowledge in professional practice.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Spiritual Direction:
- have advanced knowledge of the theological and spiritual foundations of approaches to spiritual direction in the Christian tradition, and of the relation of the discipline to broader theological studies
- have mastery of skills to reflect critically on giving guidance to an individual’s spiritual experience in the light of key themes, traditions and approaches in spirituality
- have communication and technical research skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions and professional decisions about themes, traditions and approaches in spiritual direction
- apply knowledge of themes, traditions and approaches in spiritual direction with creativity and initiative to professional practice and for further learning
- apply relevant theological and hermeneutical skills through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Master of Spiritual Direction consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 96 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Spiritual Direction
- 24 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Biblical Studies
- 24 points of Foundational units in the discipline of Systematic Theology or in the discipline of Church History
- 96 points of Elective or Praxis units in the disciplines of Spiritual Direction, Spirituality and Pastoral Theology and Ministry Studies
- Either one Capstone unit of at least 24 points in Spiritual Direction or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units in the disciplines of Spiritual Direction and Spirituality.
Black Masters gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 74 Master of Spiritual Direction, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.