Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
Level 9 – Masters Degree
Two years full-time or up to six years part-time.
Cost of study
The Master of Philosophical Studies requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per standard unit or $14,688 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Master of Philosophical Studies enables students to apply an advanced body of knowledge in philosophy in relation to broader theological studies. Students broaden their knowledge and skills and deepen their engagement with select areas of study to prepare them for professional practice and further learning.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Philosophical Studies:
- have advanced knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required in philosophy, and of the relation of philosophy to broader theological studies
- have mastery of methodologies for historical and critical analysis of philosophical texts
- have advanced skills of interpretation and critical reflection in philosophy, with awareness of implications for and applications to historical and contemporary issues and contexts, in order to generate and evaluate ideas for professional practice and further learning
- articulate and communicate knowledge and insights in philosophy to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- apply relevant philosophical and hermeneutical skills through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Master of Philosophical Studies consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 72 points of Foundational units in three disciplines from at least two fields, where one of the disciplines is Philosophy
- 96 points of Elective units in the discipline of Philosophy
- 24 points of Elective units in any discipline
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points in the discipline of Philosophy or in synthesis with it, or a Research Essay
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units
provided that at least 192 points are taken in the discipline of Philosophy.
Black Masters gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 71 Master of Philosophical Studies, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.