Overseas student type
You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study
- If residing in Australia the student will be classified as ‘On-Shore’. The student will require a visa to study.
- If residing overseas the student will be classified as ‘Off-Shore’. The student does not require a visa to study.
Student Visa 500
- A visa granted to non-Australian/New Zealand citizens residing and studying in Australia full-time.
- Course of study must be CRICOS registered.
- Cannot study more than 1/3 of course online.
The Master of Philosophical Studies enables students to apply an advanced body of knowledge in philosophy in relation to broader theological studies. Students broaden their knowledge and skills and deepen their engagement with select areas of study to prepare them for professional practice and further learning.
Graduates of the Master of Philosophical Studies:
- have advanced knowledge of sources, terms and concepts required in philosophy, and of the relation of philosophy to broader theological studies
- have mastery of methodologies for historical and critical analysis of philosophical texts
- have advanced skills of interpretation and critical reflection in philosophy, with awareness of implications for and applications to historical and contemporary issues and contexts, in order to generate and evaluate ideas for professional practice and further learning
- articulate and communicate knowledge and insights in philosophy to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- apply relevant philosophical and hermeneutical skills through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
The Master of Philosophical Studies consists of 288 points comprised of:
- 72 points of Postgraduate Foundational units in three disciplines from at least two fields, where one of the disciplines is Philosophy
- 96 points of Postgraduate Elective units in the discipline of Philosophy
- 24 points of Postgraduate Elective units in any discipline
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points in the discipline of Philosophy or in synthesis with it, or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis
- Further units at postgraduate level.
provided that at least 192 points are taken in the discipline of Philosophy.
The standard full-time duration of the Master of Philosophical Studies is two years. The Master of Philosophical Studies must be completed in not less than two years and not more than six years from the date on which the course is commenced.
|Standard full-time||2 years|
|Maximum part-time||6 years|
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
The Master of Philosophical Studies requires completion of 12 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2021 are $2,640 per standard unit or $15,840 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.