Colleges where it can be studied
- Australian Lutheran College
- Catholic Theological College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 9 – Masters Degree
Eighteen months full-time or up to four and a half years part-time.
Cost of study
The Master of Education and Theology requires completion of 9 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per standard unit or $14,688 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Master of Education and Theology enables students to apply advanced knowledge of the nexus between education and theology in professional practice contexts such as faith-based schools and prepares them for further learning in these disciplines.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Education and Theology:
- have mastery of educational and theological concepts which underpin the practice and mission of faith-based learning contexts
- have skills to reflect critically on professional practice in faith-based learning contexts, informed by education and theological theory
- apply insights from the dialogue between education and theology to generate and evaluate complex concepts in professional practice and further learning
- have communication and technical research skills to investigate, interpret and justify theoretical propositions and professional decisions in faith-based learning contexts
- apply relevant skills in the disciplines of education and theology through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Applicants must have:
- an undergraduate degree
- have obtained a qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia
- have two years of full-time teaching experience or part-time equivalent
How to apply
The Master of Education and Theology consists of 216 points comprised of:
- Either DE9016L Education and Theology in Dialogue or one of DE9663Y / DR9663Y / DM9663Y Leadership for Mission in a Catholic School
- 24 points in the discipline of Biblical Studies or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education
- 24 points in the discipline of Education or the discipline of Religious Education or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- Either a Capstone unit of at least 24 points that integrates education and theology or the unit RQ9748M Minor Thesis on a related theme, as approved by an Academic Dean
- Further Foundational, Elective, Praxis or Capstone units
provided that at least 96 points of Elective units are included.
Black Masters gown
Stewart Blue with a light blue ribbon
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 39 Master of Education and Theology, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.