Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
One year full-time or up to three years part-time.
Cost of study
The GDPhil requires completion of 6 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per standard unit or $14,688 for a full-time year (6 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Diploma in Philosophy allows students to explore areas of interest in the philosophical tradition. It provides a substantial foundation for further study and a means of articulating the relation of that philosophy to the Christian theological tradition and to appreciate the philosophical dimension of Christian thought. Graduates are able to articulate relevant insights for Christian identity and social engagement.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma in Philosophy:
- have knowledge of the texts, sources, terms and concepts required for engagement with philosophy and its relationship to Christian theological traditions;
- have research, analysis, logical critical thinking, appraisal and communication skills applicable to philosophical studies;
- apply skills of interpretation and appraisal to a range of texts with awareness of context, implications and application to historical and or contemporary issues;
- apply relevant philosophical and hermeneutical, argumentation and critical thinking and logical skills to developing new arguments, and presenting analysis, appraisal and exegesis of (western, canonical) philosophical arguments, and narrate the relation of those to Christian theological traditions.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Graduate Diploma in Philosophy consists of 144 points comprised of:
- 96 points in the discipline of Philosophy; and
- a further 48 points.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 62 Graduate Diploma in Philosophy, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.