Overseas student type
You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study for this course
This course is available to overseas students residing in Australia and overseas students studying overseas.
- If residing in Australia, you will require a visa that allows study and note any conditions specified. These visas include;
- Bridging visas and Training Visas (Subclass 407), please check Home Affairs for the visa that is relevant to you.
- If you are on a Student Visa (Subclass 500) to study in Australia you must study full-time.
- You cannot study more than 1/3 of this course online.
- If residing overseas, you will not require a visa to study this course.
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy builds on the Diploma in Theology by enabling students to deepen their understanding through a specialised focus on Philosophy. It may be possible for students to undertake study in a ministry setting as part of the course.
Graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Philosophy
- have significant foundational skills for critical study of Christian texts.
- have skills to articulate and reflect upon foundational theological, scriptural and philosophical knowledge.
- have strong analytical skills allowing them to analyse and communicate sound theological and philosophical arguments, especially in relation to worldview perspectives.
- apply their skills and knowledge to their own and other contexts and traditions through philosophical analysis and argument.
- apply their skills and knowledge to the service of others through practical engagement and in contexts such as practical support ministries or cultural and philosophical analysis.
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy consists of 288 points of study:
- 18 points of Old Testament
- 18 points of New Testament
- 18 points of Church History
- 18 points of Systematic Theology
- 36 additional points from Field B and / or Field C
- 144 points of Philosophy
- a further 36 points of study.
The standard full-time duration of the Advanced Diploma in Philosophy is two years. The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy must be completed in not less than two years and not more than eight years from the date on which the course is commenced.
|Standard full-time||2 years|
|Maximum part-time||8 years|
|Standard full-time||2 years|
Part-time available to off-shore students only
Pathways to future study
Graduates may proceed to the Bachelor of Ministry or Bachelor of Theology.
Successful completion of of the Victorian Certificate of Education in an Australian secondary school or the Diploma in Theology, or equivalent.
Prospective students apply by direct entry to a College of the University. The Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is not used in selection at the University of Divinity.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy requires completion of 16 standard undergraduate units. Fees for 2022 are $1,764 per standard unit or $14,112 for a year of full-time study (8 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.