Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
- Yarra Theological Union
Level 6 – Advanced Diploma, Associate Degree
- Blended (combination of Online and Face-to-face)
Two years full-time or up to eight years part-time.
Cost of study
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy requires completion of 16 standard undergraduate units. Fees for 2021 are $1,704 per standard unit or $13,632 for a year of full-time study (8 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy builds on the Diploma in Theology by enabling students to deepen their understanding through a specialised focus on Philosophy. It may be possible for students to undertake study in a ministry setting as part of the course.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Philosophy
- have significant foundational skills for critical study of Christian texts.
- have skills to articulate and reflect upon foundational theological, scriptural and philosophical knowledge.
- have strong analytical skills allowing them to analyse and communicate sound theological and philosophical arguments, especially in relation to worldview perspectives.
- apply their skills and knowledge to their own and other contexts and traditions through philosophical analysis and argument.
- apply their skills and knowledge to the service of others through practical engagement and in contexts such as practical support ministries or cultural and philosophical analysis.
Follow on study
Graduates may proceed to the Bachelor of Ministry or Bachelor of Theology.
- Admissions for first semester 2021 close on Friday 12 February 2021.
- Admissions for second semester 2021 close on Friday 16 July 2021.
Successful completion of Year 12 in an Australian secondary school or the Diploma in Theology, or equivalent.
Prospective students apply by direct entry to a College of the University. The Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is not used in selection at the University of Divinity.
It may be possible for students to receive credit into their course for prior post-secondary study in theology or ministry.How to Apply
The Advanced Diploma in Philosophy consists of 288 points of study:
- 18 points of Old Testament
- 18 points of New Testament
- 18 points of Church History
- 18 points of Systematic Theology
- 36 additional points from Field B and / or Field C
- 144 points of Philosophy
- a further 36 points of study.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 42 Advanced Diploma in Philosophy, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.
Find out more about our Student Profiles.