Colleges where it can be studied
- Stirling Theological College
Level 6 – Advanced Diploma, Associate Degree
- Blended (combination of Online and Face-to-face)
The standard full-time duration of the Advanced Diploma in Counselling is one year. The Advanced Diploma in Counselling must be completed in not less one year and not more than three years from the date on which the course is commenced.
Cost of study
The Advanced Diploma in Counselling requires completion of 144 points of study. Fees for 2020 will be released soon.
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Advanced Diploma in Counselling prepares students to work in a multi-disciplinary environment and significantly enhances their counselling, professional and spiritual foundations. Students form a vision of the counsellor that reflects both individual and relational work, supportive and intensive therapies, psychological competence and theological congruence. The course requires a consistent commitment to supervision and personal and professional integration.
The Advanced Diploma meets the requirements of:
The Christian Counsellors Association of Australia (CCAA) for provisional membership.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Advanced Diploma in Counselling
- have well developed counselling skills to work with clients of low to moderate needs.
- have a deep understanding of themselves as counsellors.
- apply client spirituality into the counselling experience from an ethically integrated, Christ-centred perspective.
- apply theological and professional reflection to their practice.
- apply professional practice in counselling with diverse people in a range of contexts.
Follow on study
The Advanced Diploma in Counselling meets the academic entry requirements for the Bachelor of Counselling Program. Graduates will need to undertake an entry interview to confirm admission into the Bachelor program.
- Admissions for first semester 2020 close on Friday 14 February 2020.
- Admissions for second semester 2020 close on Friday 17 July 2020.
A person may apply to the Academic Board to enrol as a candidate for the Advanced Diploma in Counselling if he or she has satisfactorily completed an eligible Diploma of Counselling as determined by the Academic Board.
For the purposes of admission, eligible Diplomas in Counselling are:
- CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling
- CHC51712 Diploma of Counselling
- 10486NAT Diploma of Counselling (Christian)
- 80883ACT Diploma of Counselling and Family Therapy (Christian)
- 80665ACT Diploma of Counselling and Family Therapy (Christian)
- 11397ACT Diploma of Christian Counselling and Family Therapy
How to apply
The Advanced Diploma in Counselling consists of 144 points comprised of:
- DZ2860 Theories of Ethical Counselling Integration
- DZ2075 Counselling Integration Practicum
- RQ2930 Academic Research and Writing
- DZ2010 Introduction to Psychology
- 36 points in the discipline of Professional Counselling
- 18 points in a discipline or disciplines in Field B or Field C
- A further 18 points.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 85 Advanced Diploma in Counselling, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.