Colleges where it can be studied
- Jesuit College of Spirituality
- Pilgrim Theological College
- Stirling Theological College
- Whitley College
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
The GCSp is one semester full-time or up to three semesters full-time.
Cost of study
The GCSp requires completion of 3 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per unit or $7,344 for a full-time semester (3 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality allows students to understand personal spiritual experience through introductory study of themes and approaches in Christian spirituality. It serves as a foundation for further study in spirituality or spiritual direction. Graduates are able to articulate insights for Christian practice and identity.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Spirituality:
- have engaged with personal spiritual experience in light of foundational themes and approaches in spirituality and / or spiritual direction;
- have knowledge of the dynamics of the spiritual life through reflection on personal experience, integrated with foundational themes and approaches in spirituality and / or spiritual direction;
- apply the insights of Christian spirituality to understanding life, work and community.
Follow on study
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Admissions for first semester 2020 close on Friday 14 February 2020.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality consists of 72 points comprised of one of the following programs.
Program 1: Candidates must complete either DS9201W The Art of Contemplative Practice or DS9108F The Weeks of the Spiritual Exercises, and a further 48 points in the discipline of Spirituality or Spiritual Direction.
Program 2: Candidates must complete the unit DS9000P or DS9009P Fullness of Life: Spirituality in Christian Tradition and 48 points selected from the following units:
- DS8010P Early Monastic Wisdom: The Desert and the City
- DS9300P Medieval Monastic Wisdom
- DS8400P Lent and Easter: Forty Days and Fifty Days
- DS8405P Prayer and Hospitality: Benedictine Spirituality in Australia
- DS9030P The Wisdom of St Benedict: The Rule and its Sources
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 53 Graduate Certificate in Spirituality, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.