You are an overseas student if you are:
- a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia,
- a permanent resident (visa status) of New Zealand, or
- a resident or citizen of any other country.
Conditions of study for this course
This course is only available to overseas students not residing in Australia.
- You will not require a visa to study this course.
The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality allows students to understand personal spiritual experience through introductory study of themes and approaches in Christian spirituality. It serves as a foundation for further study in spirituality or spiritual direction. Graduates are able to articulate insights for Christian practice and identity.
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Spirituality:
- have engaged with personal spiritual experience in light of foundational themes and approaches in spirituality and / or spiritual direction;
- have knowledge of the dynamics of the spiritual life through reflection on personal experience, integrated with foundational themes and approaches in spirituality and / or spiritual direction;
- apply the insights of Christian spirituality to understanding life, work and community.
The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality consists of 72 points at postgraduate level.
- DS8201W Art of Contemplative Practice
- A further 48 points in the disciplines of Spirituality or Spiritual Direction
Candidates must complete the unit:
- DS9000P or DS9009P Fullness of Life: Spirituality in Christian Tradition
Candidates must also complete 48 points selected from the following units:
- DS8010P Early Monastic Wisdom: The Desert and the City
- DS9300P Medieval Monastic Wisdom
- DS8400P Lent and Easter: Forty Days and Fifty Days
- DS8405P Prayer and Hospitality: Benedictine Spirituality in Australia
- DS9030P The Wisdom of St Benedict: The Rule and its Sources
Locations and modes
The standard full-time duration of the Graduate Certificate in Spirituality is six months. The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality must be completed in not less than six months and not more than two years from the date on which the course is commenced.
|Standard full-time||6 months|
|Maximum part-time||2 years|
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
The Graduate Certificate in Spirituality requires completion of 3 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2022 are $2,732 per unit or $8,196 for a full-time semester (3 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.