Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
The GCGM is one semester full-time or up to three semesters part-time.
Cost of study
The GCGM requires completion of 3 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per unit or $7,344 for a full-time semester (3 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Certificate in Guiding Meditation is designed for those seeking to learn the methods and skills of teaching meditation and meditative prayer in a variety of situations including primary and secondary schools, parishes, hospitals and other settings. The course includes the history and practice of meditation and lectio divina and provides an opportunity for students to reflect on their own spiritual gifts.
The Graduate Certificate in Guiding Meditation is accredited by the Meditation Association of Australia. The Course fulfils the membership requirements for Meditation Australia. Please note that individual applicants for Meditation Australia membership must verify that they have completed a minimum of two years of personal meditation practice.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Guiding Meditation:
1. have knowledge of the practice of meditation and lectio divina in the Christian tradition;
2. have knowledge of the relationship between spiritual and psychological factors, and methods for developing them as an integrated whole;
3. have capacity to critically engage with the Christian prayer tradition in relation to the contemporary context including other spiritual traditions and scientific perspectives;
4. apply and assess appropriate models of prayer and meditation in various pastoral contexts;
5. apply and reflect on the communication skills required to lead meditation in a range of contexts.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Graduate Certificate in Guiding Meditation consists of 72 points comprised of:
- DS8600C Meditation in the Christian Tradition
- DS9610C Applied Meditation
- DS9620C Meditation and Wholeness
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 48 Graduate Certificate in Guiding Meditation, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.