Colleges where it can be studied
- Catholic Theological College
Level 8 – Bachelor Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma
The GCBL is one semester full-time or three semesters part-time.
Cost of study
The GCBL requires completion of 3 standard postgraduate units. Fees for 2019 are $2,448 per unit or $7,344 for a full-time semester (3 units).
Fees are subject to change from year to year. For more information about fees, please visit the Fees page.
What this course is about
The Graduate Certificate in Biblical Languages allows students to acquire knowledge of one or more biblical languages and skills for the analysis and translation of passages in such language(s). It develops techniques for critically engaging with the contexts in which biblical literature was produced and transmitted. Graduates attain knowledge and skills that can be used to contribute to the interpretation of the Bible. The course may be used as a pathway to further biblical study.
Course learning outcomes
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Biblical Languages
1. have knowledge of one or more biblical languages and the relevant primary sources, reference works and linguistic concepts;
2. have skills to analyse the grammar of passages in one or more biblical languages and to articulate the results using standard terminology;
3. apply their knowledge and skills to the translation of passages in one or more biblical languages into English;
4. apply their knowledge and skills in the discipline of biblical languages to the task of engaging with the oral and written contexts in which biblical literature was produced and transmitted;
5. apply their knowledge and skills in the discipline of biblical languages so as to serve preachers and readers of the Bible.
Follow on study
Admissions for first semester 2019 close on Friday 15 February 2019.
Admissions for second semester 2019 close on Friday 19 July 2019.
Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
How to apply
The Graduate Certificate in Biblical Languages consists of 72 points in the discipline of Biblical Languages.
Black Bachelor gown
Where to get further information
- For detailed information about this course, please consult Regulation 47 Graduate Certificate in Biblical Languages, or talk to the course advisor at your chosen College.
- For further information about student support, please visit the Study page.
- Compare Universities using the Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website.