Applying for Student Visa

Applying for and obtaining a student visa can take considerable time; this may vary in different countries. Three steps are essential to making an application.

Step One: Application for Admission to a University of Divinity course

As an international student you must complete the appropriate International Students Admission Form, and submit it with the following documents direct to the College of your choice:

  • Evidence of your level of English Language proficiency or that you have been offered a place with an English language provider in Australia
  • Transcripts of all completed tertiary courses
  • An Overseas Student Sponsor Statement completed by your sponsor, if you are not paying your own fees
  • A copy of the photo and name page of your current passport which must show your full name, your date of birth, your citizenship, and your country of birth

Step Two: Acceptance of Offer

If you are accepted into a University of Divinity course, the university will send you an Acceptance Contract, which you must complete, sign, and return to the Academic Services Officer. The university will then send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).

Step Three: Visa Application

You must use your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to apply for a student visa. All student visa applications must be lodged online at the Department of Home Affairs. Please see the Department of Home Affairs website for more information on the documentary evidence that you need to provide and how to lodge an application for your student visa by creating an account.

Maintaining Your Student Visa

New students commencing their course of study need to be present in person at their College in Australia at least two weeks before the first day of semester to attend a compulsory orientation program, to be introduced to the academic and social support services available during their studies, and to organise their living arrangements. This is in order to ensure a successful transition to student life in Australia. If you do not arrive in time to attend your first classes you run the risk of being reported to the Department of Immigration for non-commencement of studies.

The Australian Government requires all tertiary institutions to ensure that international students have their study and results monitored constantly during their study in Australia. You are required to complete your course in the time indicated on your COE.

If you have a student visa, you must study full time, and are permitted to work part time. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in your visa being cancelled. If this happens you will be required to leave Australia. Details about working while studying are available from the Department of Home Affairs.